Trying to sell any home can be a challenge. There are some extra steps you might want to consider if you have a home that is old and you want to appeal to young buyers who are in their 20’s and 30’s.
These eight tips could get you an early offer and they won’t cost you a lot of money.
1) Pre-inspect your home. A home inspection could be beneficial if the owners haven’t kept the home in good repair due to lack of finances.
2) Buy a home warranty. It is recommended that sellers should buy home warranties that would cover repairs on electrical, plumbing, heating and cooling systems and appliances that are in the home. These warranties would provide coverage while the house is being listed as well as after the closing, and is a reassurance to buyers that they won’t be faced with expenses for major repairs.
3) Offer a possible expansion or renovation plan. If prospective younger buyers like a home because of its location, the schools in the area and the general style of the home, they could be persuaded to buy knowing that there are possibilities with renovations.
4) Provide renovation loan information. Younger buyers are likely to want to renovate the kitchen and bath in homes that are 20 to 30 years old. The seller can provide information about a renovation mortgage program called the FHA 203(k). This will inform the buyers that they can wrap their renovation costs into their mortgage.
5) Offer a credit for repairs. If sellers know that there are certain things that will need fixing, they can offer a credit back so the buyers can make the repairs themselves. Information about the credit can be made upfront to prospective buyers.
6) Lighten and brighten the home. These older homes usually have smaller windows and are somewhat darker. Removing any heavy window treatments and cleaning the windows will let a lot more light in. Trimming shrubs that may cover windows as well as removing old carpet and dark heavy furniture can also brighten up a room.
7) Highlight neighborhood amenities. You should market your home by highlighting what young buyers would be most interested in. Some things that appeal to young couples and families are the location to swimming pools, tennis courts, shopping, restaurants, a gym and public transportation.
8) Paint your home in neutral colors. Sellers use to paint their rooms white to appeal to buyers. Now days, white rooms tend to look boring. Young buyers are drawn to soft earth tones such as off-whites, beige and pale gray.