Kitchen updates can be expensive, with many homeowners spending between $13,000 and $37,000 on a full kitchen upgrade!
Fortunately, there are many smaller projects that make a big impact on an outdated kitchen — all without spending more than a month’s mortgage payment! Whether you’ve lived in your home for years or just got the keys, we have some affordable ideas to help spruce up your culinary corner.
- Bring in a pattern. To spruce up a bland kitchen, try adding a vintage-inspired rug or wallpaper with a floral print. A patterned backsplash can be a bit more expensive, but is also a great way to add a fresh look to your space. You can even try a few patterns at the same time, just make sure they have a linking color in them.
- Add pendant lights. Think of these as a great accessory that helps bring your look together to make a statement. Styles change, and fresh lighting fixtures can help make your space look contemporary and up-to-date. Make sure you install them over an island or countertop where low-hanging lights won’t interfere!
- Show off your dinnerware. You can either add floating shelves or simply remove a cabinet’s front to show off your collection of eye-catching glassware and more. Removing cabinet doors also gives a narrow or small space a sense of openness. This may be a good idea for a do-it-yourself project, as an old cabinet or cupboard looks great with a fresh coat of vintage-inspired paint.
- Add hanging storage. Whether it’s over your countertop or hanging above your island, there are plenty of opportunities in most kitchens to add some hanging storage. It’s a great way to show off those expensive kitchen gadgets and pans, and can also spruce up a boring space. Organization is key, though, as you don’t want your space to look cluttered.
- Replace window treatments. The best window treatments will transform a space while injecting a sense of style and beauty. You can highlight your kitchen’s best attributes with your selection, choosing to match or compliment existing colors or features. Also, since kitchen blinds or curtains need replaced more often than treatments in other rooms, consider choosing something easy to remove and replace.
- Add some shiplap. You could always add some interest with a paint job, but why not go the extra mile and add some shiplap, too? This is a great do-it-yourself project that will add texture to your space and give off modern-farmhouse vibes.
- Update your seating. Does your kitchen seating look tired? That means it’s time for an update! For some seating, like metal island bar stools, a fresh coat of paint does wonders. Adding bold colors here is a playful way to add some visual excitement to your space. For other seating, reupholstering or replacement is often the best option.
- Try an easy cabinet makeover. A fresh coat of paint works wonders in any room, especially the kitchen! If you’re not sold on painting the whole space, consider just a section of cabinets. Painting just a few cabinets in a short run, for example, will create the illusion that you have a built-in hutch. You can also create visual contrast by painting the upper and lower cabinets contrasting colors. Choosing a light or off-white color on the uppers can help give your room a feeling of openness. Lastly, consider new hardware … it’s another easy update that can make a huge difference.
We hope this selection of quick and affordable kitchen updates has sparked your imagination. But perhaps you’ve decided you’d like to make major renovations, or would prefer to work with a professional designer. Maybe you’ve even decided that it’s time for a whole-house upgrade!
No matter your situation, we’re here for you. Our REALTORS® have many years of combined experience in the Penn State
and Centre County
markets, and can help you make informed decisions about your home. Reach out today … we’re here to help in any way we can.